When to use Natupol Smart?
Natupol Smart is a powerful and smart pollination product and can be used for various tasks. The Natupol Smart houses a slightly smaller, but high performance colony. Compared to the regular Natupol hive, this smart pollination product can be used for various crops such as cherry, round, beef tomatoes, peppers and eggplant, produced in smaller greenhouses up to 1000 m2. In addition, Natupol Smart works well in larger greenhouses and with crops that produce less pollen (less than 25 flowers per m2), such as beef tomatoes, melons and various seeds crops.
How it works
How does Natupol Smart work?
After their release, worker bumblebees start pollinating the crop. They are supported by more workers born in the weeks after their introduction.
The improved visibility of the hives among the crop is based on the way bumblebees see. Bumblebees now easily find the hive, fewer bumblebees get lost in the greenhouse and pollination improves.
One hive with one colony of bumblebees including a queen, workers, brood and sugar water
Directions for use
Special points of attention
- Make sure the hives and the entrances are well visible, so the bumblebees easily find their way home.
- Place no more than two hives next to or close to each other. To reduce drift of bumblebees, make sure each hive entrance points into a different direction.
- Please note that direct sunlight on the hive can increase the internal hive temperature with 5-15°C. It is important to provide shade in warm conditions.
- Make sure ants cannot reach the sugar water of the hive by making a barrier of grease or insect glue. Also avoid contact between plants and the hive, so that ants cannot reach the hive.
- Avoid colonies to be placed in the direct surrounding of the CO2 supply, or in other locations where CO2 can reach high levels (over 2500 ppm).
Application Natupol Smart
- Distribute the Natupol hives evenly along the main path of the greenhouse
- Place the colonies on a horizontal platform (avoid inclination, otherwise sugar water may leak)
- During summer; Position the hive about 20-60 cm above the ground on the south-side of a path to obtain maximum shade from the crop. If needed, provide additional shading.
- During winter; Position the hive near the top of plants on the north side of the main path. Ensure that the hive is exposed to the first daylight.
- Wait at least for 15 minutes after positioning the hives before opening the hive entrance, this allows the bumblebee colonies to calm down.
Best working conditions Natupol Smart
Natupol Smart performs best at ambient temperatures of between 10-30°C
Pesticides can have (in)direct effects on biological solutions. Find out which pesticides have side effects on this product.
- Every hive contains food in order to keep the bumblebees in good condition during transport and storage.
- To guarantee the best pollination results, start using the hive on the day of arrival.
- Start using the hive no later than one day after arrival.
- Maintain the bumblebees at a temperature of between 15 – 25°C.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the hive.
Use and Hygiene
- Never move a hive from one greenhouse to another
- Prevent bumblebees from leaving the greenhouse
- Remove bumblebee hive 6-8 weeks after introduction
- Clean the hive stand before placing new hives
- Seal old hives into plastic bags and dispose them according to local legislation.
"The general conditions of Koppert (Koppert B.V. and/or of its affiliated companies) apply. Only use products that are permitted in your country/state and crop. Check local registration requirements. Koppert cannot be held liable for unauthorized use. Koppert is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions."